Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Repurposed Yarn

Repurposed - to use or convert for use in another format or product.

That's how repurposing is basically defined. For a yarn addict like myself - it's just another excuse to gather more wool (acrylic, cotton, mystery fiber) yarn.

I like the basic concept of repurposing yarn. It justifies my addiction on many levels. I'm saving money-after all, purchasing a wool sweater at the thrift shop and breaking it down to balls of wool costs me very little. My recent purchase, a man's large wool sweater, resulted in 8 skeins of wool for a mere $2.25. If, I'm feeling a little lazy, I can always shop the skeins of yarn that are hanging on the back wall in little plastic bags. Every once in a while, I find a couple of skeins of beautiful angora or some sock wool...but mostly I find those acrylic yarns that those of us who are truly addicted don't mind having in our stash.

I can be popular with the "green" crowd by repurposing. It's a great conversation starter and my ecology-minded friends think I'm doing my part to save the planet.

Ultimately, my reason for repurposing is all about my fiber addiction. I love to give gifts for the holidays, birthdays, etc. Since I have a large blended family, I can give those I love a nice gift - even those who are allergic to wool (see I just justified the acrylic). With the money I save, I can ultimately afford a little splurge down the line for a very nice lace weight or my newest wish list yarn - a little buffalo.

So with that in mind - wait I hear the local thrift shop calling - I think I'll continue to do my part to save the planet and repurpose more.

No comments:

Post a Comment