Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Holiday Knitting and the Simple Scarf

Scarves have been very popular over the years. I like many other knitters have knit my share of scarves...long ones, thin ones, lace and more.

Like many knitters these days, I'm spending much less on fiber, yarn, and needles; but, I still want to give my friends and family a gift that shows how much I appreciate them.

What could I make with only one skein of yarn. Yes, the yarn is unique. Yes, the amounts are usually small. Yes, this would be a challenge. Wait, I've got it...a scarf.

The scarf pattern would have to be beautiful, not too short, maybe a little lacy. So here it is. I'm not sure that it is an original pattern but after many years reading knitting pattern books, knitting many patterns and adapting ideas that I have seen from others....do any of us really have an "original" pattern. So here it is, does it have a name....yep, let's call it the No Name Scarf.


No Name Scarf

Required Materials:


Difficulty level - beginner

1 skein of yarn - any weight, any fiber

Knitting needles - any size to achieve the effect you would like - larger needles result in a more open lace pattern

Cast on an odd number of stitches (remember the more stitches, the shorter the scarf)

Row 1: Knit 1st stitch, *yarn over,knit 2 together*, *repeat through end of row, turn

Repeat row 1 until you have achieved the length of scarf that you want.

Bind off.



Below is the most recent scarf on the needles.




Happy Holidays and Happy Knitting

No comments:

Post a Comment